Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The Date is Set

It is official. We are going to climb Mount Kilimanjaro, the majestic beauty that sits on the horizon, on Friday, November 13. (We figured if we could fly on September 11, we could climb a mountain on Friday the 13th). It will be a six day climb up the Marangu route. More details about the climb to saved for the actual climb recap.

Booking the climb date was one of the more exciting things we have done this week. Work has been progressing slowly. As I write, Max is attempting to create a website for little Qoheleth. I think the browser has crashed 6 times in the past 30 minutes...My work has been much easier, at least in terms of having little to no technological hiccups: I have started making some information flyers about the specific projects Qoheleth has lead. We have already completed one task though: a brochure. In fact, we turned in our spanking new, COLORFUL brochure to our boss today and he seemed quite thrilled (especially because there was a picture with him in it).

When we are not working (more than half the time), we have been occupying our time with extensive reading. Max is currently reading Nelson Mandela's autobiography and I am reading a book on AIDS in Africa, with an in depth case study of Leshoto. I am starting to understand why a lot of my friends who studied abroad in developing countries wanted to then major in developing studies, anthropology, and economics.

Other exiciting things on the horizon: our first official Swahili lesson tomorrow, visiting my mother's village (aka where she spent 2 years collecting research for her PhD) in Kwombo, and playing more of Max and my new favorite game: throwing a frisbee against one of our back yard trees.

over and out,
Z & M

No comments:

Post a Comment